Search This Blog

Monday, April 22, 2013

A New Season in Beer

I'm sure many of you are aware (some much more than others) of the flooding that has laid waste throughout the Midwest this week. The picture below is on my walking route.


However, one of the advantages of all this rain is that I have not had to water my hops at all. Other homebrewers, and those of you who live in regions south, have been talking about how your hops have emerged and are already 1 foot high in some places. Well, I hadn't checked mine for several days, thinking that the 6-8 inches of compost and soil would delay their arrival. I was wrong. The rains have coaxed the grass out of dormancy and it was quite high in my yard, so today I mowed the lawn for the first time this year. While picking up the sticks in the back yard that were the casualties of Winter, I looked at my hops again. They have all pushed up from the depths and are well on their way. Here are some pictures.

The Chinook (can't you tell?)




After spending the afternoon doing yardwork, it was nice to relax a bit with a double IPA by a fire made from the previous season's castoffs.


Bare tree and lacing



I look forward to many more evenings like this. Hopefully with a few friends, and a few good brews. Here's to shaking off the Winter chill and embracing the regeneration of Spring! Be Fermentive!

No comments:

Post a Comment