Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2013

das Geständnis Bavarian Wheat (google it)

I have a confession to make, thus the name of this Bavarian Wheat beer. You may recall in my last post that I was trying to think of what to brew next. I made much ado about simplicity and zen and philosophy, etc. I evangelized on slimming down the 7+ malt/hop recipes of the novice homebrewer (recommendations I still believe in). However, I confess that after making a big stink about recipe formulation, I never even brewed that recipe. In fact, I brewed something completely different albeit (in my defense) simple:  a Bavarian wheat beer. I still plan to brew the Rye Pale Ale (I really enjoy rye), but I had some yeast I needed to use and some left over grain in the right amounts. So, I threw caution to the wind and went for it. Here's the recipe.

5-gallon batch
Est. OG:  1.044
3.8 SRM
11.4 IBUs
YMMV

Grist:

White Wheat Malt - 67.2%
Pale Malt (Ger.) - 32.8%

Hops:

0.50 oz. Mt. Rainer hops @ 60 min. (11.4 IBU)

Yeast:

slurry from 1/2 gallon starter of Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Procedures:

Dough-in @ 107F with 16 qts. water for 20 min.
Protein rest:  Heat to 122F, hold for 10 min.
Heat to 148F, hold for 30 min.
Heat to 158F, hold for 20 min.
Mashout:  Heat to 168F, hold for 10 min.
Sparge, boil, chill, aerate, pitch, ferment at approx. 64F (upper 60s for more banana/less clove, lower 60s for more clove/less banana).

I've since bottled and tasted this lovely, if slightly weak, Hefeweizen. It's quite nice. Very sessionable, with pleasant clove-y tartness. Enjoy, and be fermentive!



No comments:

Post a Comment