Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Straight Adam's Vienna Lager

About 25 batches ago I brewed my first lager, Adam's Vienna Lager con Agave Nectar y Limon, a beer inspired by a desire to produce a lime-infused, Mexican lager for a friend who likes beers such as Bud Lite Lime and Pacifico in addition to craft beer. I thought it would be an interesting challenge to create a beer he would appreciate, but also that I could serve and drink without losing my self-respect. For my first attempt at a lager, it turned out well and Adam really seemed to enjoy it. The lime and agave were a nice flavor addition to the whole package, but I enjoyed the base beer enough to want to brew it again (albeit with a few tweaks) without the extra sugar and fruit. Although I enjoy playing with ingredients as much (or more than) the next brewer, I can appreciate the traditional theme as much as its variations. The Vienna Lager style originated in Vienna, Austria and was brought to Mexico by brewers that emigrated there during the last century. Without further ado, here is my updated recipe for Straight Adam's Vienna Lager (the original is linked above).

Straight Adam's Vienna Lager-5.2% ABV

5 gallons; OG 1.054; 24.4 IBUs

Grist

76% Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
19% Light Munich (8-12 SRM)
5%   Caramunich (56 SRM)

Hops

1.0 oz. Mt. Rainer pellets (6.0 %) 24.4 IBU @ 60 minutes FWH

Yeast

White Labs #WLP830 German Lager

Procedures

Dough in at 130F for 5-10 minutes. Triple decoction step mash at 145F for 30 minutes, 155F for 30 minutes, and 168F for mashout. Boil 60 minutes. Ferment at low end of yeast range. Raise temperature 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit for diacetyl rest. Lager at least 1 or up to 3 months before serving.

I am drinking a glass of this out of my new Hop Head Farms "beer can" pint glass as I type. It has a prominent malt character of honeyed, toasted biscuit. Hops are earthy and floral and almost balance the malt. It is light enough to be refreshing on a warm day, but interesting enough to inspire consideration and thirst for another glass.



No comments:

Post a Comment