Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Black Mead

I've never made mead before. I did make a beer (a braggot, actually) that was mostly honey and agave nectar over a year ago, but never just honey mead. There are two main reasons for this: First, it's too easy; second, honey is EXPENSIVE! I like the art, multi-step process, and science associated with all-grain brewing. You don't have to, but it helps to know your stuff. Honey is expensive, and it takes a lot to make mead. Several weeks ago, I was given a 5# can of honey. This was not just any honey, but honey that had been rescued from the house of a man who had passed away. And said honey had been sitting for 20+ years! I tasted some the this same honey when I received it and it is some of the most complex sweetness I have ever experienced. It has a rich, multi-faceted, toffee-like flavor with a fruity, floral aroma. The color (as seen in the images below) is a deep, rusty amber. When poured into the fermenter it appears black. I don't know much about honey, but I don't know how people could get honey quite like this. Nevertheless, here is the recipe and some pics.

Black Mead (1 gallon; est. O.G. 1.190):
5# Black honey
1 sachet wine yeast (I may pitch with a super high gravity yeast if the wine yeast conks out sooner than I want it to)
2 tsp yeast nutrient

Procedures:
Dissolve honey in ~0.25 gal warm water (100F-115F).
Dissolve yeast nutrient into water and honey.
Add must (that's the honey/water solution you have at this point) to about 1 inch of cold distilled water.
Top up with cold distilled water.
Dissolve yeast in 50 mL 100F-105F water (allow yeast to sit atop water for 15 min. Do not stir.)
Pitch yeast into must; cover or put in dark place (yeast don't like light).
I don't claim to know what I'm doing, but, generally, wine ferments at higher temperatures. So, ambient room temperature should be fine for mead.

Here is the actual honey can

Notice the dark color

Gravity reading

Black Mead, Top down

Black Mead, Side shot

No comments:

Post a Comment